FreeBeg

Full Version: In desperate need for help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Throughout my life, I have rented many apartments, houses, cottages, and trailers and I have never gone through an eviction or have had any issues with landlords, superintendents, or fellow neighbors. I have paid for the roof over my head since I was 15, even survived working 3 jobs, just to make sure the rent was paid. I can proudly say there were only a couple of adventurous years, in my teens, that I was homeless by choice.
I have had struggles along the way, had my ups and downs, and ended up on ODSP for 10+ years. Then COVID-19 hit the world. With COVID-19, out came the scammers/liars/thief's. People started to be the complete opposite of who I thought they were. Even people I had known for the last 20 years. This made me realize that it wasn’t a “Miracle safe” world anymore. I closed off the world and stayed in my “Miracle safe” environment, my apartment.
Even when it was mandatory that I attend an event/appointment, I would try to find reasons to not go. I became reliant on grocery delivery services, internet and my partner to handle the outside world. I was Diagnosed with severe Agoraphobia.
Agoraphobia (ag-uh-ruh-FOE-be-uh) is a type of anxiety disorder in which you fear and avoid places or situations that might cause you to panic and make you feel trapped, helpless or embarrassed. You fear an actual or anticipated situation, such as using public transportation, being in open or enclosed spaces, standing in line, or being in a crowd. The anxiety is caused by fear that there's no easy way to escape or get help if the anxiety intensifies. Most people who have agoraphobia develop it after having one or more panic attacks, causing them to worry about having another attack and avoid the places where it may happen again.
People with agoraphobia often have a hard time feeling safe in any public place, especially where crowds gather. You may feel that you need a companion, such as a relative or friend, to go with you to public places. The fear can be so overwhelming that you may feel unable to leave your home.
Typical agoraphobia symptoms include fear of:
Leaving home alone
Crowds or waiting in line
Enclosed spaces, such as movie theaters, elevators or small stores
Open spaces, such as parking lots, bridges or malls
Using public transportation, such as a bus, plane or train
These situations cause anxiety because you fear you won't be able to escape or find help if you start to feel panicked or have other disabling or embarrassing symptoms.
In addition:
Fear or anxiety almost always results from exposure to the situation
Your fear or anxiety is out of proportion to the actual danger of the situation
You avoid the situation, you need a companion to go with you, or you endure the situation but are extremely distressed

You experience significant distress or problems with social situations, work or other areas in your life because of the fear, anxiety or avoidance
Your phobia and avoidance usually last six months or longer
Panic disorder and agoraphobia
Some people have a panic disorder in addition to agoraphobia. Panic disorder is a type of anxiety disorder in which you experience sudden attacks of extreme fear that reach a peak within a few minutes and trigger intense physical symptoms (panic attacks). You might think that you're totally losing control, having a heart attack or even dying.
Fear of another panic attack can lead to avoiding similar circumstances or the place where it occurred in an attempt to prevent future panic attacks.
Signs and symptoms of a panic attack can include:
Rapid heart rate
Trouble breathing or a feeling of choking
Chest pain or pressure
Light-headedness or dizziness
Feeling shaky, numb or tingling
Excessive sweating
Sudden flushing or chills
Upset stomach or diarrhea
Feeling a loss of control
Fear of dying
COVID-19 strikes. Prices of food/household items jumps significantly. Our already tight budget covers even less. My anxiety and depression started back up in full gear. While trying to adapt my income to cover rising cost of living we fell behind. About $2550 behind in bills, I started to do the only thing I could think of that would help fix everything. Apply for loan after loan after loan (which in the end just put me more and more in debt) and began to move away from reliance on ODSP by landing a work from home job.
I knew that I had to fix this situation with our arrears rent, so I tried a few different ways to earn money. I began sewing many different things for people and making table cloths, curtains and resizing clothes for Christmas gifts, and alterations. Also, I started to make and sell personal pinatas and had a few customers with that but just didn’t bring in enough money.

Finally with a lot of hard work, late-nights, research and luck I found a legit work from home job with Sykes (Alpine Access Canada Inc.). I worked so hard to get better and overcome my agoraphobia. Landing the job, I started to be proud of myself for being able to get back into the working class. At the LTB tribunal payment arrangements were made (rent on the first, arrears payment on the 20th, caught up in full end of April.). I began making payments, never notified by my bank or landlord when a payment was declined by payment portal (setup by property management for landlord). Upon noticing the funds back in my account, a couple days after the 1st or 20th I would resend and funds would transfer, no problem. Beginning to believe things would work out and I'd start to enjoy life again, in the mail comes a letter from LTB stating we failed to meet a condition specified in the mediated settlement (payment on specific date). After explaining to the LTB that the payments were made and declined by payment portal and resent and accepted by the payment portal as soon as they returned to my account. Landlords lawyer did not attend the hearing. The LTB tells us that a decision would not be made at this time and we would receive the decision by mail. About 3 weeks later, we receive a letter stating that we owe an additional $2571 for costs related to the application fee, and that we would have to pay $37.50/day on top of our rent ($1140/month) for administration fees to the landlord, and the landlord could proceed with eviction. We then spoke to a lawyer, and filed for review. Told by LTB we filed wrong forms, that we needed to file forms attached to the email they sent us. A few days go by no response, we contact them, and again we are told we filed the wrong forms (referring to the ones they sent us to fill out). Sheriff locks us out and the LTB demises our request for time minutes after sending it.
We are asking that if the Request for an Extension of Time is granted, you add the following to the Request to Review submitted.
The Member exceeded the jurisdiction available under section 78(11)(b) of the Act, by setting aside order EAL-98294-21, issued on November 17, 2021, but terminating the tenancy rather than amending the repayment plan. Section 78(11)(b) is a relief provision. It allows a member to set aside an Order under s. 78(6) if satisfied, having regard to all the circumstances, that it would not be unfair to do so. Section 78(12) then allows a Member to amend a settlement if it considers it appropriate to do so. This provision is not intended to be used for terminating a tenancy. To terminate the tenancy, it would have been available to the Member under s. 78(11)© to deny the set-aside, but postpone lifting the stay until March 31, 2022. However, where a member grants a set aside under s. 78(11)(b), s. 78(12) can only be used to vary the payment terms. Accordingly, the Member exceeded jurisdiction, and this is an error in law.
We are also asking that the LTB issue an Interim Order with a Stay, and an Order that if the landlord has not yet re-rented the rental unit, it not do so pending the outcome of the Review Hearing.
The only reply we received from LTB is denied.

I had been making payments and bringing down the balance of the arrears and administration/application fees. That did not matter. Even though not one of the 61+ maintenance request were completed (I say plus because I was only able to print 61 before they removed my access) in 5 years. Even though notice was given when the building switched ownership, and at the yearly inspections, that had been done, over a year with new owners. We did not have use of half of the kitchen space due to the mold under the sink, growing through the countertop, due to a leaky pipe that had been requested fixed multiple times over 5 years. A hole was put in the wall of the bathroom by a contractor hired by the property manager and never fixed. I had to cover it up with cardboard as there was a cold draft that was coming through and it was still winter and with all the windows not having proper insolation. The apartment was cold enough despite the plastic and many, many blankets and sheets I had to put up over the windows to try and keep the cold out. You could still feel the cold coming through even being a foot away from them. We had to choose if we wanted hot water or heat as it was one or the other if the stove was used because fuses would blow. On-site staff would deliver replacement fuses several days later. Just to name a couple of the issues.

When the sheriff came to evict us and stated we had 72 hrs to get our things. It was the student's move-out weekend, not a truck or storage unit/u-box available or could be delivered in that time frame. We booked ourselves a motel and began to process what had just been done to us. After booking U-haul boxes, I messaged on-site staff and explained the situation and they agreed to give us access after the 72 hours to move our stuff out. The 3 U-box were delivered 2 days after the 72 hours had ended. I also asked if I could have a few hrs, during the 72 hours, in the apartment to get things packed up to make the move faster, she agreed and said I had till 5 pm. I was grateful for the time given. I lost track of time while packing, seeing it was around 7 pm, I messaged on-site staff, to let her know I was leaving so she could come to lock the door as they changed locks after a visit from the sheriff, to which her response was “How would you like to stay the night?,   Confused, yet very grateful, as this had been my safe haven for 5 years and lots of packing still left to do. Several minutes go by, I receive a call from on-site staff stating that at that time they were out of town (as it was the weekend) and would not be able to lock the door (a responsibility left to them by the sheriff). No longer having keys and not willing to leave everything I have worked for unsecured in an apartment with a vacant possession notice on the door, I stayed and packed. Wondering, what would have happened if I had just messaged and left without waiting for the door to be locked. The apartment would have been left unlocked all weekend and we would have never known.
When we were evicted not only did, we have nowhere to go, or money (as I had just made a payment of over $2500 to finish paying arrears and fees, 3 days before the deadline... end of April) or food to feed ourselves (forced to leave over $300 in groceries). In the end, I was able to get half of my belongings out of the apartment. The reason we could not remove all of our belonging:
On-site superintendent, who I have not had any issues with ever until moving day. The staff kept harassing me, saying 30mins till I lock the door and you lose everything left inside... 30mins would go by and it would start again, and if I didn’t respond right away then she would keep messaging or come up to the apartment to start yelling at myself and the friend we had helping (as my partner was attending lawyer appointment) yelling for us to “get this shit out of her hallway“, even though that’s where she told us to place the stuff as long as it didn't block the hall and was kept to one-side. At one point she was yelling at my friend and calling him a “junkie” by the elevator 2nd floor. I could hear her

in my apartment, and that is through 1 fire door past an apartment through the closed door of my unit. There really was no need for that at all, no one was yelling, swearing, or arguing with her but she felt the need to yell for everyone in the building could hear her. All this happening put me into several panic attacks, to the point I could barley breath and was gasping for air, serious enough our friend had to contact my partner, who was at the lawyers, interrupt the meeting, looking for guidance on how to help me through the attack. Not to mention that when the superintendent called me and I wasn’t able to talk properly and she could not understand me she just hung up on me and didn’t even bother to come up to see if I was ok nothing. This, of course, slowed me down even more. Also, the way she treated my father-in-law, who was kind enough to rent us a truck since we turned down the on-staff offer of hiring people she knew to move us with their half-ton truck at $150 an hour, we were only allowed a few hours between day 1 and day 2 to load the u-boxes, no access day 3. Staff waited till the U-boxes had been picked up, then contacted us saying that the landlord was giving us 4 more hours the next day “4 hours from 9 am – 12noon...” (we are still trying to figure out the 4 hours) to get the rest of our things out of the place. Again, I was very grateful for this. I was actually only given 3 hours and again was held up half of the time with staff messaging every half hour to 15 minutes to state how much time I had left to get everything out. With the truck not being available for pick up till 10:30 am, we only had just under 1 hour of moving time. My father-in-law who is in his 70s asked, “What’s the harm in letting them take a few extra minutes to make sure family keepsakes and sentimental items have been collected?”, she just started to yell at him asking him “Who the f*ck are you” telling him” She doesn't have the answer to him” and “that police will be contacted to have us all removed from the building and charged with trespassing”. Never once did he raise his voice or swear at her or disrespect her in any way.
Then I lost my job due to not providing the requirements that the client requires. Now that is has gone to collections, I can not pass the credit check. As I do not have the income from my job to pay off the debt collectors.
Not to mention the new dept that I have acquired since the eviction to put a roof over our heads and make sure we could eat at least once a day (as well as the $300.00+) dollars in food that we had lost having to leave it at the apartment. The $3000.00 for the truck and storage fees that I have to pay. I just might lose everything I own but the clothes in my suite case, as I have now been forced to leave my job (able to reapply in 90 days, assuming my new living arrangements meet my employer’s requirements) leaving me unable to pay for my next month's storage.

For five years I have been dealing with the maintenance issues not being addressed and I of course did not hold the new landlord responsible till they acquired the building but also was understanding of COVID-19 and not being able to get workers to fix the issues (they were able to repair and upgrade the rest of the building during covid-19, just not our unit). Yet we couldn’t get the same treatment with respect to paying off the arrears. We have never fought what we owed. I understand being treated this way if nothing was being paid but payments were being made right up until a few days after being evicted. Balance owing down to a minimal, if not completely paid. I should have held on to (over $2500 paid in April) as I needed it to survive. Being forced into losing my job and means to provide for myself has set me back to “It's not a Miracle safe world”.
we were told in LTB recorded hearing that we had to file against the landlord (T6) and they would hear our case before final decisions were made, our case against the landlord is still awaiting a hearing or even acknowledgment by LTB or the landlord and was file March 31, 2022, we were evicted April 27.  In the 5 years at that address, we had never received a complaint against us.
Also, maybe someone needs to remind everyone it wasn't us poor that caused covid-19. We promise had nothing to do with it. Can barely afford to live on kraft dinner while paying for basic needs
Funds paid for forms that LTB sent to us and said we had to file them, then told we filed the wrong forms, which were never paid back to us. Request for review was denied minutes after filing, when we were unable to get a response from them, about anything else for the year. Told the lawyer that we wanted to take it to a higher court (finally receive a response on day 30 around 4 pm since eviction) that we only had 30 days to file and that he was unable to help us with that. Well, I probably should have seen that coming, seems to be a running theme with people in power.
Because of the eviction, it has been hard to find a place to rent as it has affected my credit and of course, is public record for any landlord to see the eviction order. I did not think it would be so difficult to get a place to rent. Since last April we have had to try and find a place to stay and it has not worked out very well, we were staying on the living room floor of a friend's place but had to leave that situation as it basically ended up being a drug palace where my cat almost died due to eating some dope off the floor and we were almost stabbed and robbed for the things we have, my husband's phone was stolen and it was beyond any kind of safe environment that no one should have to live like and because of the fear for our safety we had to leave. We then found a garage we were able to stay at but when the weather got colder that was no longer an option and had to go to a hotel but that could only be for a short stay as the cost to rent a hotel room is around $100 a night and don’t have that kind of money, but we have found a room to rent for $1000 a month for a short time but are about to be evicted from there as the people we are staying with are dealing with an eviction as well.
We have been sleeping on blankets on the floor for a year and now have been going days with out food but at least have had tap water. I am going more and more in debt buy the day and having to find food, washing laundry by hand in the bathtub, try to find a home on a daily bases has really just added more and more stress into the mix of stress and if the apartment where we rent a room gets evicted, we have no place to go, a way to get there if we did, or a way to pay for it. And that now leaves us with U-Haul, which has stated that I have to make payment in full of $3200.00 (they do not accept partial payments) then they are going to start the auction process and I will lose everything I have ever owned. This includes all my clothes as I did not get to pack properly I have had mismatched outfits put together over the last year (that makes you feel just great looking like a bum) All the clothes I have made out of bits and pieces of hand me downs, the curtains I made and much much more I am really at the end of my rope, this is the last option I can find is to ask some kind strangers if there is any way they can help me get this $3200 together. I have always throughout my life put others ahead of myself (that in some cases actually put me in bad situations) but have helped others out when needed and usually no questions asked and now that I need help not one of them has offered to help or just ignore my calls. One can only take so much and I am coming really close to that now. Anyone that is able to help me out, we can make arrangements for re-payment, or if anyone wants to invest in to a property management option and maybe we can help some others out in the process I have some ideas for that as well. I am begging for help to get out of this situation. I have never in my 42 years have ever been in anything like this before. Thank you for reading the short version of my story and if you decide to help you don’t know how grateful I will be, and if you decide not to help or you are not able to help I apricate the time you took to read what I have to say. Hope you have a great evening and stay safe.
From a lady at the end of her rope. Cheers.

Paypal payments go to: tpatw1113@gmail.com