Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Promise to My Children
Rainbow 
Hi, my name is Sharon and I am looking for help to pay off my student loans. This is my story…..
I am currently almost 40 years old and I have a little over $33,000 owed in student loans. Why does one my age have such a debt? If you are willing to read on I will tell you.
For much of my life I suffered from severe anxiety. There was a time it was so bad I couldn’t leave my house. I even had a counselor try to get me to apply for disability. I couldn’t do it. I was a mom and I refused to think that this was going to be my entire life. I was determined to fight with all my might to show my children that you can do anything that you put your mind to. It was a long road and it took a lot of years to get to where I am now. I couldn’t work, the mere thought of applying for a job would put me in panic. For years I just stayed home and took care of my babies. I was depressed and I slept a lot. I was missing out on life. My kids were getting older and noticing my sleeping habits. “Why does mommy sleep so much?” Ouch, those words cut like a knife. I remember that about my mom. I wanted my kids to see me differently. That’s when I decided it was time to get a job. Who would hire me? I had literally been home for 15 years raising my 5 children. I talked to my sister who suffers the same panic I do and together we decided if we went to school together maybe we wouldn’t have such anxiety. We even took the same classes just to be together. After one semester she quit and I decided to press on. Going to school for 5 years, yes it took that long, helped me get used to having to be somewhere and press through my anxiety. My school was paid for through grants. The student loans were to help get us through the winters when my husband didn’t have work and to pay off some high interest credit card debt accumulated from having only one income and a large family to care for. 
Going to school turned my life around. I still have anxiety but I have learned some coping methods that help me get through it. In my last semester of school I had to do an internship. After the anxiety passed I really enjoyed it and really believed I could get a job. I just needed to get through that initial anxiety ridden first few days. But to my surprise I didn’t have to start over. The company where I did my internship wanted to hire me. The perfect storm. I was past the anxiety part and comfortable there. Things couldn’t have worked out better. I will celebrate my two year anniversary there in March. My kids are proud of me, my husband is proud of me and I am finally proud of me. 
I finally feel like I am contributing to my family. Now I want to fill a promise that I made to my children. I promised them that someday we would have a house. Don’t get me wrong we are not homeless. We own a trailer. Well almost, we owe $6000 on our 15 year loan. I know we are blessed and we have far more than a lot of people but that doesn’t make me want a house any less. Two of my children are grown and gone but I have a chance to keep that promise to the three still at home. 
We will be getting a house. We even got a preapproval. Now that reality has set in I wonder if we will be able to afford it. This is why I am asking for help. I pay $450.00 per month on these student loans in order to have them paid off in ten years. I have never been late and will continue to pay them. But they are killing us. I paid $3445.13 in interest on them in 2015. That’s crazy. I would feel more comfortable purchasing a home if these student loans did not exist. Especially the ones that are carrying the highest interest rates. 
Loan groups B, D, and F are at 6.8% and loan group A, is at 5.6%. I think these interest rates are outrages for loans that are suppose to be there to help you better your future. Interest rates on homes aren’t even that high. Crazy!
Well now that you’ve heard my story, and I thank you for taking the time to read it, it is up to you if you would like to help. If you are interested in helping you can send money via PayPal to sharon12832@gmail.com or phone in any amount to Nelnet. My account number is E822014912 and their phone number is 1-888-486-4722. You can call this number and make any amount of payment you would like. Every dollar counts and is one less dollar that I am paying interest on. If you prefer to donate through PayPal that is okay to. I give you my word that every penny of that donation will go to Nelnet.
If you choose to help I thank you very much and if you can’t help or would rather not help that is okay too. 
Thank you for reading my story, I know it was a little long winded.